|Premiére date||15 Jan. 2002|
|Coproducers||Black Box Teater|
|Audience||Adults, Youth (from 13)|
|Language||German, Swedish and Norwegian|
|Expressions||Performance, Puppetry, Installation, Concert, Live art, Multimedia, Musical theatre, Theatre, Music, Multidisciplinary, Object theatre, Video|
|Running period||15 Jan. 2002 — 2003|
Tsalal (2002) was a performance/concert/installation by Verdensteatret.
Lisbeth J. Bodd and Asle Nilsen were nominated for The Hedda Award 2002 in the open category for Tsalal.Read more
- Ali Djabbary - Co-creator
- Antti Bjørn - Co-creator
- Asle Nilsen - Co-creator
- Cathrine Bjørndalen - Co-creator
- Cecilie Lindeman Steen - Co-creator
- Hans T. Zeiner-Henriksen - Co-creator
- Håkon Lindbäck - Co-creator
- Ken Ruben Theodorsen - Co-creator
- Kenneth K. Langås - Co-creator
- Lars Øyno - Co-creator
- Lisbeth Bodd - Co-creator
- Mara Oldenburg - Co-creator
- Marius Kjos - Co-creator
- Merete Fjeldbo - Co-creator
- Morten Pettersen - Co-creator
- Per Flink Basse - Co-creator
- Petter Steen - Co-creator
- Preben Faye-Schjøll - Co-creator
- Reinert Mithassel - Co-creator
- Trond Lossius - Co-creator
- Ulf Knudsen - Co-creator
- Øyvind Borgemoen Lyse - Co-creator
- 21 Sep. 2003 - BIT Teatergarasjen (BIT Teatergarasjen) - Show
- 20 Sep. 2003 - BIT Teatergarasjen (BIT Teatergarasjen) - Show
- 2003 - Museum for Contemporary Art i Reykjavik - Show
- 2003 - Center for Cultural Decontamination (Center for Cultural Decontamination) - Show
- 2003 - Hovedscenen (Haugesund Theatre) - Show
- 25 Nov. 2002 - Kultur im Spannwerk (Nordic Music Days) - Nordic Music Days - Show
- 24 Nov. 2002 - Kultur im Spannwerk (Nordic Music Days) - Nordic Music Days - Show
- 19 Jan. 2002 - Store scene (Vika) (Black Box Teater) - Show
- 18 Jan. 2002 - Store scene (Vika) (Black Box Teater) - Show
- 17 Jan. 2002 - Store scene (Vika) (Black Box Teater) - Show
- 16 Jan. 2002 - Store scene (Vika) (Black Box Teater) - Show
- 15 Jan. 2002 - Store scene (Vika) (Black Box Teater) - Worldwide premiere
- 2002 - Teaterhuset Avant Garden (Avant Garden) - Show
- 2002 - Kulturkirken Jakob, Oslo - Ultima - Show
- 2002 - European Digital Stage Art Festival - Show
- 2001 - Kunstnernes Hus i Oslo - Høstutstillingen - Show
More about Tsalal
In May 2001 Verdensteatret travelled from Kiev via Odessa and crossed the Black Sea to Istanbul. This journey is the background for Tsalal. Much of the material collected through this journey, such as video and sound recordings, pictures and recollections are forming the landscape - a kind of after-landscape, like after the storm - of Tsalal.
One of the main themes of Tsalal is exploring the dimension of sound, crossing the borders between pure sound and meaningful language.
This is mainly achieved by advanced real-time processing of the performers' voices. The audio-effects encapsulates the whole spectre; from mild forms of distortion to total transformation. These processes are in part controlled by the actors, in part by a computer technician.
Tsalal can be experienced as a musical composition or as a three-dimensional painting, or both at the same time.
Until the opening day Verdensteatret had planned to give Tsalal the title Østover for eksempel* (Eastwards, for instance). Because of this there are leaflets, program lists and similar using this title.
Even in a review (by Hilde Østby in Dagsavisen 17.01.2002) the title Østover for eksempel appears.
Tsalal was supported by Arts Council Norway and The Audio Visual Fund.
Lisbeth J. Bodd and Asle Nilsen were nominated for The Hedda Award 2002 in the open category for Tsalal.
The archive of Verdensteatret, donated by Verdensteatret. 04.08.2010
Verdensteatret, verdensteatret.com, 23.08.2010, http://www.verdensteatret.com/tsalal.html
Sceneweb on The Hedda Award 2002, www.sceneweb.no, 06.11.2012, http://www.sceneweb.no/en/awarding/23900/The_Hedda_Award_2002-2002
*Not yet translated into English. The title within parentheses is the Norwegian title's literal meaning.